Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Curse of the Mistwraith

I only have praise for this book. Wonderful! Riveting! Lovely! A fantasy masterpiece! Curse of the Mistwraith is one of those books which I will vividly remember for years to come. It captured my attention from the very first page and kept me interested till the last. CotM s the first book in The Wars of Light and Shadow series written by Janny Wurts and it promises greater adventure in the sequels. I regret not discovering this book earlier. Rather than the usual theme of Good vs Evil in most fantasy books, CotM is unique in that its underlying theme is Justice vs Compassion. There is also no evil dark lord in this story, only two half-brothers who are bound in unnatural enmity as a result of a curse laid upon them by the Mistwraith. CotM is not one book which you can skim through quickly, as the author packs her writing with superbly fine detail (you must read each sentence carefully, or you’ll miss some hidden meaning, and the author never spoon-feeds her readers by directly stating what she implies), stunning vocabulary (you might need to keep the dictionary close by) and complex sentence structures. If you’re looking for a challenging read with a deep plot, this is the book for you. Besides an engaging storyline, CotM also rewards its readers with three-dimensional characters who will make you smile when they smile and make you weep when they weep.

I must say that my favourite character is Arithon (I can’t seem to like Lysaer, even though I know what he became was no fault of his. I will try to like him.). Arithon is one of those characters who will stay in my mind for a very very long while, being so mysterious, self-sacrificial, quiet and compassionate—all qualities that I like (if ‘mysterious’ can be considered a quality). My heart simply breaks when he gets hurt or faints from exhaustion somehow…

Well, I shall not reveal anything more about the story as such a treasure will be best appreciated only if you discover it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment